Role and Responsibilities
• Support children and staff during breakfast club on a rota basis.
• Support children and staff in after school clubs if required.
• Supervise children with ASD during lunchtimes.
• To participate in specific ASD training.
The key roles of this post will generally include:
1. Providing support for pupils by
1. Attending to personal needs and implementing related personal programmes, including social,
health, physical, hygiene and welfare matters
2. Supervising and supporting pupils ensuring their safety and access to learning
3. Establishing good relationships, acting as a role model and being aware of and responding appropriately to individual needs
4. Promoting the inclusion and acceptance of all pupils
5. Encouraging interaction with others and engaging pupils in activities led by the teacher
6. Encouraging pupils to act independently as appropriate
7. Supervising and providing support for pupils with special needs
8. Assisting with the development and implementation of Individual Education/Behaviour Plans and
Personal Care programmes
9. Supporting and monitoring the challenging and demanding expectations set by the teacher and
promote self-esteem and independence
10. Provide feedback to pupils in relation to progress and achievement under guidance of the teacher
11. Support pupils with hygiene needs and personal care.
2. Providing support for the teacher by
12.Preparing the classroom as directed for lessons, clearing afterwards and assisting with
the display of pupils work
13. Being aware of pupil problems/progress/achievements and reporting to the teacher as agreed
14. Undertaking pupil record keeping as requested, eg filing of records and pupil profiles
15. Supporting the teacher in managing pupil behaviour, reporting difficulties as appropriate
16. Gathering/reporting information from/to parents/carers as directed
17. Providing clerical/admin. support e.g. photocopying, typing, filing, collecting money etc.
Level 2 to include:
18. Promoting good pupil behaviour, in line with school policy, dealing promptly with conflict and incidents in line with established policy and encourage pupils to take responsibility for their own behaviour
19. Maintaining constructive relationships with parents/carers
20. Administering routine tests and invigilating exams and undertaking routine marking of pupils’ work, referring any difficulties to the class teacher
21. Using strategies, in liaison with the teacher, to support pupils to achieve learning goals
22. Contributing to the planning of learning activities
23. Monitoring pupils’ responses to learning activities and accurately record/report achievement/progress as directed
3. Providing support for the curriculum by
24. Supporting pupils to understand instructions
25. Supporting pupils in respect of local and national learning strategies e.g. literacy, numeracy, early years, as directed by the teacher
26. Supporting pupils in using basic ICT as directed
27. Preparing and maintaining equipment/resources as directed by the teacher, assisting pupils in their use
28. Carrying out annual stocktaking as directed
Level 2 to include:
29. Undertaking structured and agreed learning/activities/teaching programmes, adjusting activities according to pupil responses
30. Undertaking programmes linked to local and national learning strategies e.g. literacy, numeracy, early years recording achievement and progress and feeding back to the teacher
4. Providing support for the school by
31. Be committed to the safeguarding and promotion of the welfare of children and young people.
32. Being aware of and complying with school policies/procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, behaviour, anti-bullying, anti-racism, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person
33. Being aware of and supporting difference, ensuring all pupils have equal access to opportunities to learn and develop
34. Contributing to the overall ethos/work/aims of the school
35. Appreciating and supporting the role of other professionals
36. Attending relevant meetings as required
37. Participating in training and other learning activities and performance development as required
38. Assisting with the supervision of pupils out of lesson times, including before and after school and at lunchtimes
39. Accompanying teaching staff and pupils on visits, trips and out of school activities as required
40. Such other responsibilities allocated which are appropriate to the grade of the post
Level 2 to include:
41. To take responsibility for a group under the supervision of the teacher